Sunday, July 31, 2011

Today's long run (15km) went exceptionally well considering I didn't start my run until 8am. I did my usual prep work:

waterbelt - check
extra money - check
phone (and music) - check
IT band(s) - check

I started off a lot stronger than I expected - was able to do about 5km within half an hour. I tried to keep the pace consistant even after the the 5km mark, and I think I managed a good average of it. Another bit of good news is that the shin splints I was feeling last week are no longer there! Oh pain-free is a great feeling! On my final return from the boardwalk (I do about 2 rounds back and forth), I could smell bbq food from people set up on the grassy area of the beaches. Smelled so good! "Follow your nose!" ;)

Admittantly at this point, everything I ate in the morning (some pecans and water!), had burned to nothing. I was pretty hungry. But I wanted to push myself just a little more... I ran past my usual "ending marker" (a simple beaches sign) located on the boardwalk, and as I did, it began to rain. Lightly at first, then slightly heavier.

My motto has been rain (rain, not thundering) or shine for the training, but perhaps it was the brief waft of bbq food that I came across in the run, maybe it was the slight chill in my arms, or that my gps monitor was telling me that I did my milage already...

I decided to turn back and head home. And probably eat something :) My mind had been set on making Milestones' California Salad for the past week. Got home. Showered. Made it. Turned out to be quite delicious :) Sorry, no picture of it. Literally made and devoured ;)

I have 3 weeks until my Midsummer Night's Run. 4 Weeks until my first Duathlon. The latter is what I'm worried about. I have yet to do a combo of both running and biking together in one session. Ai... wish me luck!

2 comments: