Thursday, July 21, 2011

Training on one of the hottest days


I knew in advance today was going to be some kind of bloody hot day, so my plan of action was to get up at the crack of dawn (I name it to be around 5:30am) and do my run. Failed attempt. I heard the 5:30am one. Turned it off. 6:30am. Turned it off. Finally, I woke up at my own accord at 7am, and was out running by 7:30am. The run started off ok. Weather felt a little warm, but there was a breeze in the air. But by the time I was 5km in (and also at the OTHER end of the boardwalk), the air became thicker all of a sudden. I could feel the heat of the sun at the back of neck, my arms felt like it was being toasted. I picked up the pace and to fuel myself I ate a cliff blok candy. Never had I been so glad to wear my waterbelt. On my regular weekly runs, I only drank a cup of water before leaving my house; I never felt the need to carry any bottled water on me. I can't say that's ever a good idea. I should correct that bad habit. Dehydration is not fun. Been there, done that. Almost fainted in the showers of a gym. But luckily rescued by my friends.

By the time I returned home from the 7.3km run, I was soaked in sweat. I emmersed my face in cold water and while I normally shower with luke warm water, this time around, it was much cooler.

I swear, I didn't want to leave the house after that. I wanted to stay in my newly AC'd room and just breathe in the cool air. Sadly, no such luck though since it was a work day.

At lunch hour, my collegues and I went out for lunch. On our walk to the Salad King restaurant, out of curiousity I asked the temperature; it was 34 degrees. On our way back to the office, I checked my phone for the temperature; it was 36 degrees. It has risen 2 degrees in a matter of 30 minutes. The walk back to the office was very long. I had a serious craving for ice cream which I was glad to satisfy this evening!



In the midst of blogging todays run, my friend Jeff called me and we went for ice cream at Maple Leaf Dairy, (Formally called by locals: St. Clair's), and I got treated to a single scoop on a cone.

x 5!

It was not a single scoop. It was a 10 scooper! It was huge! Once we left the shop, it started melting. Jeff expertly ate his cone, while I struggled with mine. It was melting. so. fast. Within 5 minutes, my hand was covered with melted ice cream. It dripped everywhere. It reminded me of a time back in Highschool when my friend Lynette and I were returning from a Kiwanis Festival. We were at Eatons I think, and we both bought a dipped chocolate cone. Holding my violin case in one hand, I remember watching Lynette eat hers easily, nothing melting down the sides. For me, it was dripping all over the place. I decided then I had no skill with ice cream. And today, I have decided that has still not changed... :)

Sadly to say, half the ice cream melted off to the point where the top tip of the ice cream just toppled off. It was gracefully dropped down onto a patch of dry grass. Let the grass have some melted ice cream since it would probably do a better job of consuming it! :P

I'm debating right now whether to run tomorrow or hold off. I guess I will see how the weather is like. According to the forecast, it could be ok running weather in the morning. Maybe I can aim for 6am ;)

2 comments:

  1. 10 SCOOPER ICE CREAM??? where is this place???

    good job Wendy still cant believe u went for ur run even in that hot sticky weather...RUN WENDY RUN^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a super-super sized version of a single scoop ice cream... It's called Maple Leaf Dairy, located at 2861 Danforth Ave. :) Maybe you can blog about it as a dessert place to go when you have a huge ice cream craving!

    Thanks! I can't believe I ran too :P

    ReplyDelete