Sunday, August 28, 2011

Toronto Island Duathlon 2011 - My first Duathlon


A Duathlon - run, bike, run. Yes, not a biathlon as one would have thought it be called. I signed up for the race some time ago, likely in June is my guess, thinking that it would be a good way to transition into triathlons. Kind of like testing the waters before leaping in (even though, I fully intend on diving in!).

Today, at the Toronto Islands, I got a good taste of what it would feel like. The race course for my event was 4.5km run, followed by a 30km bike ride, and finishing off with a 4.5km run. The route didn't seem very difficult, but then again, I was also still on my recovery week from last weekends 30km run, and on a terrible note, I hadn't touched my bike since my "fall" a few weeks ago. The bike (and helmet) was in fact still in my friends garage today...


In preparation for the event, last night I made some pasta for dinner (I have to say, I do make a mean spaghetti!). I also rummaged up my hydration pack, tossed in an emergency blanket, iPhone, some food (almonds, e-discs, cliff bloks), and an extra set of clothes for changing after the race. And of course, a long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt for after/pre race.

I aimed to for a good nights sleep, but instead slept at 1am somehow. Not good since I had to wake up in 4 hours...

@5:00am today, I was up.
@5:30am, I was dressed and ready to go, drank some water to hydrate myself.
@6:00am, my friend (great support, unfortunate that he couldn't do the race this year) picked me up. The bike securely attached to his car, with helmet and some extra Gatorade he thought I might need. need to say, I did *shudder* about the Gatorade. Last weeks experience still lingering)


@6:30am, we were at the Ferry area to the Toronto Islands. I went to pick up my bib# and ferry ticket. There I met a girl named Angela. She was doing the Duathlon Relay. Part of me kinda wished I did too :P
@7:00ish (?) My friend and I parted ways then, wishing me luck as I stood in line to get on the Ferry. I was now solo. As I waited, I looked around me, and I could see road bikes, triathlon bikes (you know, the ones that look fast while standing still...), but not many hybrids or mountain bikes even. I chatted with a woman and her husband in front of me, and found out that she was doing the triathlon. Her bike looked cool, not a tri bike, but still, compared to mine, much more awesome. It was a really windy and cool day, I couldn't imagine going into open water and swimming 750m. I later found out when we finally got on the ferry that she was going to be doing the Ottawa Triathlon next weekend. This event was going to be nothing compared to that; she was going to use this as a practice for the swim section. Very impressed. I wished I could do what she was doing, but I guess I am moving towards that. Just need to put in more practice with my weaker areas (biking and swimming!).

Once we arrived on the island, we made our way to "Transition Area", close by starting line area. There I parted ways with Karman, and went to my bike rack section (in accordance to my bib#). There, I met two ladies that were also like me - doing their first duathlon. I chatted with them a little and then went to pick up my the latter part of my race kit - this included the free participation tshirt, a race bag full of goodies (granola bars, chewys..etc) + a magazine, and my race chip (which was actually a strap on to my ankle!).

I decided then, that I would just run without the hydration pack. I didn't need it. And the worry that my stuff would be taken or anything like that without it being locked up (yes, a little paranoid...), was put to rest. Everyone there were athletes, and the place was kinda closed off to the general public. I put my hydration bag to the side, close to where my bike sat on the rack, pinned up my bib#, put the sticker of my bib# on my helmet (not sure if it was rights side up? since it was a rushed job), and strapped on my chip timer.

It was also during this time that I found out that running with music were not allowed. I had brought my armband too. In hindsight, I could have just worn the armband with my iPhone just to tell the time... I didn't have a watch..

@7:50am, I stood with my two new friends Roxxanne and Patricia as we waited for the race to start. I also bumped into Angela too.
@8:00am, the starting horn sounded, and we were off to the races!

Note that I didn't have a watch, so the rest will have no time reference :P

I completed the 4.5km pretty strong. The course looped around so that we ended back into the transition area, so we could pick up our bikes. I quickly took a quick drink of the Gatorade situated conveniently on my bike, put on my helmet, and started the next part of the event - 30km bike ride.

Here is where I heard a lot of "On your left!", "To your Left", "Left", "Careful, on your left!", "Sorry, on your left".. I think I may dream about those words tonight. I held a steady pace, but compared to the pro athletes in the event (quite a lot of them), I looked like a recreational biker lol. I could hear them zip by me as I rode my bike.



Words of great wisdom: Keep calm, and Carry on.


Once I finished the 30km ride, which we also looped back into the transition area, I took another few sips of my Gatorade, donned my favourite white cap, and started my last section: run 4.5km. As I started to run, I could feel the tension in my legs, they felt so rubbery. I was warned about this by the new friends I met. They all said it would feel like that right after the bike to run transition, and you just have to ease into it for the first 5-10 minutes. They were right.



I finished the race, got a free Hero Burger (yum), and a 1% Milk. Both girls that I ran with were really nice, offering Chinese buns and a delicious coconut drink while we waited in line for the burger.

All in all, it was yet another successful event! I met new friends, tried something new, and discovered a new found favourite - Hero burgers!

After leaving the island, I couraged up and biked all the way home, a good 7km on top of the 30km. :P A good start to pushing myself a little.

Next event... going to be a little quiet until October, but it will definitely give me time to train :)

2 comments:

  1. that pasta looks tasty.

    oh yeah, and good job on the duathlon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe. I did like the pasta! a lot of work though :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete