Saturday, August 6, 2011

No pain.. no gain... or not?

In my last blog entry, I mentioned the possibility of going back into training straight after my little bike incident. I actually intended to do that... but sadly, after testing it the next morning, the bruised area of the knee felt very tender. Not just to touch, but I could feel pain the moment I moved it too much or too quickly. Suffice to say, training was out of the question. How long I would be out of it...was uncertain.

On Wednesday I tried a test run (stationary run at home). Nope. Still ached. Didn't help that I tended to kneel down on the injured knee (guess its my dominant one? Kind of weak though, since its the one with the IT band around it...).

Thursday came around. I test running again in the morning (stationary run at home). Still hurt a little. However, by this time I noticed that the injured area had started to show discoloration - it was black and bluish. That same evening, I took an easy 6km speed walk on the boardwalk just to test it out. It was a little sore, but it gave me a good idea on where it was in terms of recovery. Friday I decided would be my last rest day before I do a long run on the weekend.

So here we are today, Saturday morning; 5:30am. I actually woke up for the first alarm! :) Had a yogurt and quarter of a bagel (with generous amount of peanut butter -- yum!). Filled up on my waterbottles and headed out.





Today, would be my second day using the new upgraded "MapMyRun" iphone app. I'm actually quite pleased with it, now that it has a voice monitoring system for me to make sure that my pacing is consistant through out. No more slacking for me. Or I hope.

The first few km were nice and steady, and eventually, I found my rhythem. I didn't have a lot of time to do my long run today since I had to meet up with friends for breakfast all the way in the west-end (Islington area). I picked up the pace around the 10km split, and had to turn off earlier (aim was for at least 17km today), but any more time on the route, I would be late for my appointment. So only 15km today. Until next week...

In terms of my breakfast meet up...I was (saldy) late anyway despite my attempt to avoid it. I texted my friend letting her know I might be a tad bit late (bus was late). By the time I got in the subway, I just caught the train going west. And then it stopped around the pape area due to "technical difficulties"? I wasn't too sure. The TO transit system's speakers are pretty terrible... I could barely make out the few words, but "delay" was definitely one of them.

When I finally arrived at the Royal York station to be picked up, I felt so bad, I was nearly 20 minutes late! My friend was thankfully very forgiving :)




Picture this, but with scrambled eggs and bacon, breakfast sausage, mozarella, diced potatoes, peppers, onions, tomato sauce, snuggled inside our pizza crust...


She took me to Aristano Bakery Cafe, on Islington avenue. There we met up with another friend and I was treated to a wonderful breakfast..."scrambled eggs in my pocket" :D It's like a pizza pocket filled with all the breakfast goodness. My friend got a delicious danish and my other friend got a salad and sandwich, exactly like this one listed on my friend's blog: http://eatherenext.blogspot.com/2011/08/artisano-bakery-cafe.html

Everything there was amazing. Today started out really great - Good company, good food, and a great workout too!

2 comments:

  1. mmm... bacon...

    can you get a pizza pocket that is filled entirely with bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, kaibar, that would be one amazing (not to mention artery clogging) meal! I'm guessing if you request, they MIGHT make that for you. Maybe I'll ask the next time I'm there...

    ReplyDelete