Saturday, August 13, 2011

Goodbye waterbottle...#2

The big run is next week...despite all the training I've had the last few weeks, I don't think I'm as prepared as I should be. Today I decided I would push myself to do a minimum of 20km. Normally by the time I do the Midsummer Night's run, I'm at the 23km + mark. This year, I had more setbacks. A lot of posts titled "back in training!".

Last evening I met up with my friend and we went for il Fornello on the beaches. She ordered a Penne, and I ordered the Fettuccini Alfredo. For appetizers we got the Calimari (which was delicious). Marble Slab for desserts :) Such indulgences! I have been trying to cut back a little on eating out, but for some reason, I guess I justified it all with the intent on doing a very long run the next day. No backing out. No sleeping in. No slacking. (In hindsight, I may also should have added NO CHEESE. My stomach was rather upset during the night).

I woke up this morning ready for the challenge. 20km. I could do this. Waterbelt, IT band, almonds for food, new armband for iphone...

Yes, I finally invested in it. I was biking with my friend one time, and when I told him that I just kinda tucked my phone into a pouch as I ran, I got the look *that's not cool* All things considered with all the gears I had on, why not get an armband too? At least look the part if anything *grin*.

So since then, I had been on the hunt for one. Finally picked one up on the Thursday with a friend. I also discovered too that MapMyRun appearantly isn't accurate in distance calculations! Or rumour has it. I have to prove it still. Its calibration is off when you are not running on roads. It underestimates the total distance. So, who knows, maybe I have been doing more than 7km on my morning runs!

Anyway, I took the belkin armband out of the package and discovered it wasn't what I had initially expected. It was a buckle strap, but it wasn't one that could be opened up. I could adjust it though to fit my arm, but I had to slide it up.

Geared up, I left the house to do the run. About 1/6th of the way, I went to reached for the rear waterbottle on my belt... and discovered it wasn't there! I actually did a full 360 turn to check around me (not that it would have done any good...), but nope. It wasn't a recent drop. It was gone.. gone!!! Now I was down to two water bottles. Still quite full at this point. I decided I would just run until I ran out of water. Shockingly, I ran 14km and still had a tiny bit of water.

But just as I was running out, seriously not dramatizing here, I bump into my brother on the boardwalk. He had a waterbottle in his hand. I peddlared him to giving me some. How kind, he filled up only the half way point of one of my 8oz bottles :P Fortunately, I reached a water fountain not too far away and filled up.

I continued my run, finished at 20.58km and walked the remaining distance home. Oh also a note, I gave it up with the armband... it kept slipping, and it felt really heavy on my arm. Maybe I hadn't put it on right? At halfway point of my distance, I actualy ended up slipping it off and "strapped" it to my hand instead. It actually worked pretty well. Not sure if I looked *cool* running with it like that, but it was better having to adjust it every 10 minutes.

By the time I reached home, I had about 2 hours left before I had to go to a seminar about Google Chrome and HTML5. After Showering and eating some vegetarian sushi quickly, I made my way all the way to the west end to Liberty street. The seminar turned out to be pretty interesting. I met a few new friends and got a free Google Chrome version of the "Ball of Whacks"!




(sorry kaibar, they only had enough for attendees)


After the seminar, I made my way again, all the way to the opposite (east) end to try an Ethiopian Restaurant called "Rendez-vous restaurant" located near Danforth and Greenwood. Food there was pretty good! Company was a delight, and the coffee that I got at the end of the evening was superb. It was like having a shot of expresso. I think that's probably why I'm still up right now to type up this posting! 20km runs usually forces me to retire earlier in the evening... but I feel so awake. Best part with the coffee was it also came with popcorn! Yes, you heard right. Popcorn. So good!





No comments:

Post a Comment