Monday, October 17, 2011

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Heart & Stroke Foundation


On Sunday, October 16th, 2011, I completed my 3rd full marathon!! Hurray! This year, over 22,000 runners from all around the world were participating in the marathon/half-marathon/5k event :)

The night before (Saturday)
I was battling the onset of a cold (and possibly fever). I had woken up Saturday morning very achey, and tingly, warm, throat kind of scratchy. This was not from taking the flu-shot. I was under council by my boss and a colleague on Friday that it would be a bad idea. And my doctor agreed when I asked him. Yay, no sore arm. Usually when I get my flu-shot I have a 50/50
chance of either getting really sick the next day or completely fine. Did I want to risk it, when my run was 2 days away? Not really. Not with all the training so far.

Yet somehow, I still get sick. So on Sat evening, with my friend Mad on our way to eat my pasta dinner (fuel, I need fuel!),


I picked up a bottle of Extra Strength Cold Fx. I popped a pill right after buying it (and one before I went to bed).

Race day. Awake at 5:30am, I f
reshened up, filled my water bottles and packed them away. I debated on whether to take Cold Fx again, but decided that I would ride it out. Never know what pills can do when you're doing a long endurance run. And I was feeling a little better, although not 100%. Maybe at 65%. Better than nothing :)

Double checked that I had my clif blok jellies in my water belt. Made sure I had some salty chips/peanuts in case of cramps (around the 30km mark!). Packed my extra change of clothes, deodorant, body glide, towel for the showers at goodlife (see, membership does come in handy!), keys, phone, earphones, hat, extra water, snacks for post-run (protein bar, cookies, and a juice), money (for real food for post-race). I pinned my bib number to the
front of my tshirt. Attached my timing chip to my shoe. With everything packed and ready, I set out to make myself a little breakfast: peanut butter and banana sandwich. A surprisingly delicious combination!


I looked at my race route and printed the map to the baggage check in. The location was different from last year, it was at the Armoury..., at University Ave. and Armoury. Also added the list of road closures, in case the Taxi driver needed that information. I really wanted to minimalize the cost if I could :)

My taxi arrived at 7am sharp. Sweet, no worries about having to order another one or complaining to the taxi company. Last time I had a bad experience with one company, and I had to get to the airport to not miss my flight...

I arrived promptly at my destination. My little road closure map helped :) Cost me $20, tips included. Way cheaper than booking a hotel downtown!

I walked up to Armoury St. and University and was completely at a loss to where the baggage area was. No signs. Nothing. A guy walked up to me seeing that I looked lost, and asked what I was looking for - turned out to be the same thing he was looking for too. We kept walking along university until we saw a group of volunteers who told us we were in the right place: this WAS the baggage area. Out here. In the middle of the street. In the cold.

We waited, and it wasn't until 7:45-8:00am, before they set up the tables and parked these moving trucks. Split into 3 sections, based on bib numbers, I just happened to line up at the WRONG one. I was so disappointed when they made me go line up at another section - I was there so early! lol To BEAT the lineup. Good thing though was I pre-paid for it, so I got on the 'express' line.

Once baggage was checked, it was all a waiting game. The race started at 9am. I found myself a little cozy spot by a stair case and tried to keep myself warm. There were two really annoying guys who were also sitting near me, who were mocking people who didn't "look" like runners. It was too bad they didn't stay long, because I really wanted to tell them off. Really, who are you to judge if someone can run it or not? And everyone at the race were there to run for their own reasons, some for charities, some for loved ones, some for competition, and some for fun. Believe it or not, a good physique does not always equate to be being a good runner. Nor does age. Last year, a man that was probably close to 70 beat out both me and this early 20's kid. Kind of sad, but it is true. Don't let appearances fool you. These people really train for the event.

Speaking of age.. this year, a 100-year-old Fauja Singh was a participant. That is amazing. God, I hope I can still run when I'm a 100.


9am, and I'm with the crowd, in my coral, and waiting for 9:05am (2nd wave). There's a cry and a cheer. And I walk a bit, then jog, and then finally start running to the startline. It's always like that, a bottleneck effect. Although, I admit, the new wave system helped it a bit. Normally we all kinda walk to the start line.

The first 10k, I think I did fairly strongly, about an 1:10 minutes. I saw a lot of gloves and sweat shirts along the way. The runners were warmed up. I was getting warm too. I had already tossed away a purple sweatshirt. Never liked it. I still can't believe I brought it on my Taiwan trip earlier this year. Did not look flattering in pictures. No sad goodbyes there :) My gloves were a different story. Newly bought Lululemon ones. Not throwing these babies away. I did pocket them (and double checked every other kilometer if they were still there.

The 21 km split came around, and I could barely believe that the half way point had arrived.

I think the trouble started once I past the 31km mark... I started to feel the "wall" coming. It was like an oncoming storm of walls. At 34km, I was trying not to even look at the distance indicators, yet, my eyes still searched for the red and white numbered flags. 35km, my back started to get sore and bother me. Once in a while, I would put my hand behind my back and give it a little back stretch. Surprisingly, at this point, I hadn't experienced any cramps. Well, at least leg cramps... Around 37/38km, it started to lightly rain again. With the wind and the cool air, I could feel the goosebumps start to rise on my skin. Gloves on. My throat was starting to bother me. My head hurt. But the mantra that kept going in my mind was to keep on going, I was close. Almost there. Near a water station, I saw a girl with a banner: "Go random stranger, go!". That put a smile on my face, took my mind off the pain, my cold, and the wet weather for a second. And then it was back.


39km, I saw an older woman running, I picked up my pace, and then saw what was up a head, a slight hill. Really, in reality, it wasn't really even a hill. A little upward slope. But it was a steady one. I could see a number of runners just walking it up. Was I going to run it? If you think I said hell ya, then I gotta confess: hell no! lol. Everything by that time started to hurt. And I remembered how I felt at the Midsummer nights run. I did a little walk run trot up. I chatted with her a little, but I think she was quite focused with her energy on finishing. Given that I was really just easing my way up the "hill" I decided to take a picture of the 40 flag. hehe.

Then I put away my iphone, and pushed the rest of the way through. 41km. Front Street. There were people there, someone congratulates me, you're almost there! It's just 800m! 600m! 400m! 300m!, 1k - I'm at 42km. 200m! I'm pushing myself to go faster, 100m! No breaks, just keep on running... and I see the finish line. With the last of my reserve energy I make one last sprint to the finish line.




42.2km. Done. :) This one is for my two uncles, both who have been touched by strokes. Love you both and my hope to both of you on a swift recovery.

After I crossed the finish line, they hung a medal on me, draped me in an emergency blanket, and surprise surprise, I found that my baggage was located not too far ahead of me! They had transported the baggage to the finish line. Sweet! No more trekking to pick it up. I texted my friends to let them know that I was done. Mad was kind enough to come down to congratulate me - talk about support :) And of course to my texters, you know who you are :) Virtual supporters rock too!


I met with her and then took off a little bit to Goodlife (dundas location) and put my membership to good use :P Showered and feeling refreshed, I met with Madeline again and we headed off to eat.

We ate at Kenzo's, a japanese restaurant near college introduced to us by our friend Susan. I had the Ra-men (their specialty) and the gyoza (Japanese dumplings). Delicious. I think I was so hungry, I didn't even take a photo of the food. :P Aside from feeling physically sore, I knew the battle with my impending cold was not doing too well. I guess running in the cold and rainy weather isn't the best way to keep it at bay ;)

This morning, sadly, the cold won out. I woke up a little dizzy and throat was sore and 'warm' to the touch. Rest day for me. Better by the evening and right now, feeling much better. I hope it stays that way!

Scotiabank Waterfront Course Map 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment