Sunday, October 2, 2011

CIBC Run for the Cure

This morning I was "up" at 5:00am. I could hear the pitter-patter of raindrops against my window in my bedroom. There was nearly no light streaming in. It was also really chilly. I did NOT want to get up. I instead rolled my head to to face the side of night stand and checked my phone for any texts from my friend to see if he had finally answered my texts from the night before (see if he remembered the run at all! :P). I sent him a quick good morning text seeing there was a response. My text was returned at 5:35am. But I had already gone back to sleep :)
At 6am, I actually got up out of my bed and started to freshen up and gear myself for the cancer run. I slipped on my midsummer night's shirt (only synthetic shirt I had that was long sleeved), long pants, and of course, the CIBC cancer tshirt.

They were not kidding when they said x-large was big. I had figured the day before that I would have to wear layers, so x-large would leave room for a jacket as well. Had coffee and half a (buttered) bagel. Yum. Met up with my friend on the Queen street car, and headed towards the U of T campus, Kings College Circle. Kinda nice walking around my old campus, except for the unappealing mud that I tried not to sink into. We checked our bags in (it was free!!), and we killed time while waiting for the start of the 5km run to begin. Our route wasn't too bad, a nice circuit that closed back to our starting line.

The wait was quite long, cold, and rainy. We had gotten there earlier, around 8:45am, the race didn't start until 10am. We took some pictures, checked out the Aeroplan tent (signed up for one too!), and got a free orange skin peeler. They also gave free oranges (obviously so we could use the peeler). My friend actually used his. I just pocketed it (too much trouble checking it into my bag).
Sad to report, the orange peeler was tossed during the run...

Finally, it was 10 to 10am (no pun intended). I nudged my friend and we headed towards the start line. As we walked to it, we passed by the startline for survivors of breast cancer. A huge crowd had gathered there. As we moved further down Wellesly Street, I saw the immense amount of people ahead of me and around me.




For a moment as I stared at all these people, old and young, all out here, together, hoping for a change, hoping for a cure, hoping for someone they loved to get better, and some, in loving memory of someone lost. I thought about those who lost, my friend who lost her mom when she was only just starting University, my friend's aunt who lost the battle only a few months ago. Each year I join this run, each year I see the numbers grow. I'm glad I'm part of something that will make a difference.



10am, and the countdown started. My hands by this time were freezing. I regretted not wearing gloves. Mitts. Anything. Some people had the right idea, toques, scarfs, and winter mitts. I just had a long sleeve wicking shirt with the CIBC tshirt on top. Not much insulation at all. Countdown hit zero, and my friend high-fived me, just as the race begun...

And we were at a stand still. Well, we were still walking. It was very congested. Makes sense since there were lots of people. Same thing happens at all marathons too. We walked for at least 3 minutes before we arrived at the startline. And even as we crossed it, we were still walking. Things started to spread out a little as we hit the 2km mark. My friend and I got separated at one point. I also tossed that orange peeler too. I also discovered that carrying keys in my (specifically) track pants, was not the greatest idea...

I ran down from Wellesly Street to University Avenue, looped around back on University and up Queen's Park Crescent. All the while, I could hear the cheering (even through my ipod). Heading west on Bloor St., I rounded south onto St. George Street. Ah. What fond memories as I passed by some of the Lecture Buildings of my Uni days. I snapped some pictures, one particular of Sid Smith. I kinda wished they had the hot dog stand there too.. at this point, my half a bagel pretty much digested. When we hit College, I turned east on College, knowing that the finish line was just around the corner. It was, but just a little backed up. There was a huge crowd, all of them walking towards the finish line.



After crossing the finish line, I met with my friend. By this point, the weather decided that it was time to really bring on the rain instead of sprinklings of here and there. As we waited to check our bags out, we ... ok, not we, it was more of an "I" thing going on, thought about what to eat afterwards. There were many choices, Mexican, Korean, Burgers, Dumplings (Chinese), or Vietnamese. After much debate, although, we agreed that Vietnamese Pho would be the best thing to have to powerup after our run.

We made our way to Pho Hung (Spadina Avenue and St Andrew Street); right across the street from the Bright Pearl Dimsum Restaurant (that's allegedly said to be haunted...).

Pho @ Pho Hung was amazing! Soup was super tastey, not too greasy. We ordered a set of their summer rolls too. A perfect way to end a satisfying run.



Now for the next run... Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon. Why does that worry me? Maybe because I haven't hit my 30km mark yet.. at least not since the Midsummer Night's Run in August! I really thought that since the organizers had moved the STWM to October, I would have more time to train... lol I guess it didn't work for me. Some longer distances this week might help. I just hope it doesn't rain too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment