Sunday, June 12, 2011

Back in training: 6km easy run




Last night I felt a little nostalgic, so I decided to watch some old movies - The Planet of the Apes (1968 version). I remember my brother watching the Planet of the Apes when I was younger, but the marathons always ran so late into the night that I couldn't stay up... dozing on and off, I would only catch pieces of it. Sadly, I never really caught on about it except that there were talking apes, human slavery, an orangutan named Dr. Zaius, and some great revalation at the end of the first movie. I was sorta right, but I missed out on a whole lot of stuff appearantly.

It was funny though as I was watching the movie(s), I couldn't help but think back to a simpsons episode... that song "Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius" kept popping up in my head...



Not going to go into spoilers about the movies (yes, I imagine anyone reading this will rush out to get the boxset :-) you never know...), but I was hooked. One movie led to the next and the next, it wasn't until nearly 2am that I realized how late it was. Getting up at 5:30am was not going to be easy.

I was right. lol. In fact, I didn't even hear my first alarm. The 8:30 alarm finally managed to pierce through my cloud of dreams. I wasn't too happy, but I knew that putting off my run would not bold well for the rest of the training schedule I had planned for the next few months.

After freshening up and eating a mango (ran out of bananas), I hung around in my backyard and did some stretches. I also checked out the progress of my garden. I am sad to report, nothing edible has really grown up yet - just lots of flowers that I'm allergic to blossoming about... They are very pretty though.

I left the house by 9:00am, and started my run by 9:15am. The run wasn't as smooth as I'd like to have been, I admit sleeping so late was a large fact. My speed was steady, but not very fast. I was, however, not breathless any given time. Minor annoyances consisted of just my IT band slipping off every once in a while.

I am happy though that despite it all, I did finish my 6km within 45 minutes and in my 10 and 1 interval. No slacking in the water breaks this time around.

I'm going to aim for some hill training sometime this week, tomorrow? I've been avoiding it for a while now. Time to face the music! And it isn't going to be pretty...

In the meantime.. maybe I'll watch another part to the Planet of the apes series :-) Can't wait till "Rise of the Apes" comes out in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment