Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Saturday's run went well. I did not do my expected run - 29km - however, I did the recovery run, 23km (suggested by my coach since I was just returning from a knee strain injury). I think overall it was good effort in getting back into the training routine (0km to 23km!).

Sadly to say, there was nothing extraordinary that occured during the run... except I have to say, as we passed what was previously used as the emergency waste drop off area, the stench from whatever "toxins" cummulated from the garbage bags sitting there could still be smelled. ick.

After the run, however, something did happen. Not a good thing, but I guess considering that everything is fine now, I would consider it an interesting story. Or at least something I will remember NOT to repeat ever again.

I had completed my run, finished doing my stretches, and had hopped into the showers. A few minutes later, a sudden wave of dizziness and nausea washed over me. My vision changed slightly (I can't quite describe the change, it seemed sharper but dimmer?), it was suddenly for just a second, an outer body experience. I think my hands shook slightly...I felt a stomach cramp creep up on me ... I made it out of the showers and headed towards the locker area (at the time, I felt it better to well, if I did collapse, at least be somewhere where ppl were).

On my way there, I saw what I would never imagine to be something I'd ever crave for -- a protein bar; mind you, lol, it wasn't even my bar. A fellow runner had it on her -- Clare -- and all I could say to her the moment she looked up to greet me was, "Could I, if you don't mind, have just a little piece?". I honestly attempted to take a little piece off of it, but she would have none of it. Maybe it was ghastly pale complexion that worried her.... next thing I know I'm chewing away at the whole bar and having some water offered to me. Two other runners, Kate and Janine came to the rescue with an additional protein shake as well. Life savers. .. and because of them, crisis was averted.

The crisis had been... dehydration. Although I had a waterbelt on me and had been drinking water regularly every 10min, it did not help the fact that I was.. already slightly dehydrated. Having been out of the intense training schedule, I had - out of bad habit - drank less water.

After the incident, you betcha I drank a good 2L of H20 :-)

Sipping some right now...

P.S. Thank you Madeline A. and Laura A. for your support! =)

Also, Coach Helena sent us an interesting trailer for a movie about marathons. It's kind of inspiring =) See for yourself; the movie is called "The Spirit of the Marathon":

No comments:

Post a Comment