Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Price is Right ...


So for the past few weeks I had been been shopping (more like online browsing!) for a bike to replace my old one. Nothing, however, would suit the budget I was going after (my friend Jeff had something to say about making a long term investment...).

Finally after been driven to two different locations of Canadian Tires, some visits to other stores and to Costco (yes, not a bike store, but they're known for their good prices!), I ended up at Cyclepath after some urging from my friend that it IS the place to get a bike if you're serious about biking. Which I am. Honest :)

The personel at Cyclepath were very helpful, they helped me out in picking the right frame, offered several alternatives to fit my budget... well, an attempt was made :) Most of the bikes there were over my budget to start, but they made up in quality (much lighter frames!). I ended up picking a Trek 7000 series -- very pretty :) Pricy, but pretty.

After making the bike purchase, both Jeff and I were pretty tired and hungry (and we hadn't even started biking yet!) so we headed off to Pho House (formally known as Pho 88), a Vietnamese restaurant on Broadview. Best way to power up! :P

We decided after eating, that we would wait until early evening when it wasn't so hot (and until I installed a bell on my bike), so I got dropped off at home. You would think I did something constructive during the time, but I ended up taking a nap. It wasn't until perhaps 10 minutes before I had to meet with Jeff I hooked up my bell, filled up my water bottle and jetted out of the house.

We met on Coxwell and Queen, and headed on the bike path and we made our way to this oversized parking lot. I practiced a lot of my turning and testing of the gears here (Jeff's biking bootcamp ;)) and once I got my groove with my new bike, we did a few runs (well, 2 really) of the actual path. Still, all in all, quite productive! I loved the feel of the new bike, the ease in changing gears, awesome brakes (that work!). The price for bike was high, but it feels ... right :)

Aside from getting a new bike, I had been doing a lot of hiking/walking long distances - mostly 6km - 7km. Nothing too streneous, but still keeping the training up for the long hike. Tomorrow, however, will be picking up the pace and doing a easy 6km run.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I want to thank my current sponsors to my event: Hoanh T. Ngo, Jeffrey Lam, Joyce Quan, Kai Liang, Lynette, Manh Nguyen, Phuc Nghiem Phu, Phung Nguyen, Vinh-The Lam, and Richard. Thank you so much for your support! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment