Sunday, July 26, 2009

19km ... next up 29km


I completed my 19 km this saturday that just passed -- happily, made it through shy of 2.5 hours (2hr 28min according to my coach) =) I consider that fair considering I slept about 5 hours; having watched a late movie the night before and having only 1/2 a banana for breakfast. Note to self: Thumbs down on that move.

The night before I watched "The Ugly Truth" (was aiming for the Orphan, but wasn't playing at the theatre I was at -- was being spontaneous!). Turned out to be a great movie though; got home about 12am, began to pack my running gear and hit the bed by 1:30am.

Then.

The sun rises.

I didn't hear my alarm.

It's 6:20am. I'm suppose be at the meeting place by 7:00am. mmm. I had to freshen up and eat breakfast first. Eating was key. But what to eat that I could digest in 30min? And run without stomach pains?

Half a banana appearently.

Tick tock, gotta move it! I got on the bus by 6:45am. When I finally arrived, I was fortunate enough to find my team still there. Phew! :P

For the run itself, this week was not quite as exciting as the weekend run where it started to storm (lightning, thunder and all that jazz). I had it from good sources it wasn't suppose to rain until late afternoon. Not a cloud in sight. Just a bit of wind...

Oh. yes. About the wind. For most runners it is a blessing (and it still is by all means) when there is a soft breeze hitting your face as you run steadily along your running route. It is however not so great when it carries with it the 'delightful' stench of a month old garbage.

Our running route passes through Mount Hope Cementary and then eventually leads into Sunny brook park. The park itself is beautiful to run in - before the garbage strike. About a month ago an 'emergency waste drop-off area' was set up in one of the parking lots inside the park. The first week we ran past the dumpyard, it was only filled up at one small corner of the lot. This week...it was 2/3rds full, stacked at least 30 feet. Mountains of garbage. ek. I could smell the garbage a kilometer away. Had to hold my breath to get through it.

I dread to have to pass through that next week. Garbage will be 5 weeks old. Wonder what kind of toxins it will be releasing then??

After the 19km run, I dashed off to my friend's bridal shower! I was very fortunate she chose a spa day for the shower! I had myself a facial and did some lounging in the pool area.

Following the spa, I attended a dinner with the same group of friends and a Jack and Jill party afterwards. We ended fairly late, well into the next morning actually. But it was an amazing evening! I couldn't have wished to be anywhere else then seeing how happy my friend was with her soon to be husband =) Congrats again AF and EL!

Back to running...:P
Next week I'm off to do a 29km run!
For training this week, I'm hoping to some water running ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment